problems starting ISC Bind service
Gianpaolo Corona
2004-06-21 07:25:57 UTC
LS,
Can anyone help me? !!! I'm using bind 9.2.3 on w2K and installed it. I've configured a named.conf and checked it with named-checkconf an it appears to have no errors. The problem is that I can't startup the ISC Bind service. It keeps returning an error, can anyone help me.....

regards,

Gianpaolo
Juha Saarinen
2004-06-21 07:59:24 UTC
LS, Can anyone help me? !!! I'm using bind 9.2.3 on w2K and installed
it. I've configured a named.conf and checked it with named-checkconf
an it appears to have no errors. The problem is that I can't startup
the ISC Bind service. It keeps returning an error, can anyone help
me.....
What is the error message returned?
Juha
Juha Saarinen
2004-06-21 08:11:32 UTC
juha,
ERROR 1067: The proces terminated unexpectedly
OK, keeping it on the list... what is your operating system?
Juha
Gianpaolo Corona
2004-06-21 09:08:55 UTC
Juha,

error message:

ERROR 1067: The proces terminated unexpectedly

Configuration:
OS is MS w2k server sp4 with two NICs running on IBM HW

regards,

Gianpaolo
Juha
Juha Saarinen
2004-06-21 09:18:19 UTC
Juha,
ERROR 1067: The proces terminated unexpectedly
OS is MS w2k server sp4 with two NICs running on IBM HW
You may have to check for more detailed error messages on the
console/CLI rather than Event Viewer. Unfortunately, the above error
message doesn't provide much helpful information.
Juha
Gianpaolo Corona
2004-06-21 10:30:26 UTC
Juha,

Do you have a good named.conf file for me so I can check if there are errors
in my file

thanks

Gianpaolo
Juha
Danny Mayer
2004-06-21 12:46:51 UTC
I'm fairly sure I had put this is the Readme1st.txt file that comes with
the binary kits.
I guess it wasn't explicit enough.

You need to have a directory directive in the options paragraph to define
where the
files are as a service does not run under a normal account. It needs to look
something like this:

options
{
directory "c:\windows\system32\dns\etc";
};

This is almost always the problem. If this is an NTFS disk, make sure that the
files are readable by the account running the service.

Danny